Sunday, May 3, 2015

Arms for Change

For the albinos in Tanzania

What are elbows?
Elbows is the stump on my right as pure as my tears,
as innocent as my screams; a reminder of my darkest past.

My elbow is my hand and my fingers and my hatred.
The pearl-colored sheen reflects our glorious sun.
It represents my blacken spirit, the horrors of men who
denigrate my being with the charcoal in their souls.
My scarlet pains exchanged for their hearty gains,
and my ashy hugs for a couple of emerald bucks.

Why did you make me extraordinary?
Why did I have to be exceptional?
In this world, the uncommon are sold as common goods in the shadows.
I am worshiped as I am discounted.
Dishonor and worthiness are neighbors across a blurred line.

Like a broken snowflake in heat of summer,
my arm sits on a rotting table, waiting to create village legends
that would inspire the generation of more elbow broods.
Thoughtless superstitions.
Do they not know that our hurt is real?

My silver tip reflects the glorious son.
It hardens from the axe that took my agony.
It resolves from the bad that took my anguish.
My Lord, you created me. I burn like the phoenix you intended me to be.
My elbows signify the end of my persecution.
My elbows signify a new beginning for us all.
It is time to hack reckless superstitions off my home.


Agnes Lee
Topic: Elbows (day 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment