Friday, May 15, 2015

Lazarus

I rose to the surface – head, full of hot air,
first, followed by my decaying body. Merciless
waves crash onto me but it is the crack of
dawn that rose my eyelids. I rub my eyes with
bloated hands, full of chipped nails, 8 fingers left.

They buried me once.
I had to claw my way through the God’s earth.
Fulfilling, but tiring nonetheless. My cold shadow
triumphantly displayed by the moon shine on
the ground, heated by the fires below.
Hear, with only one ear, the birds cheer as hope rose.

Headed home to find the Missus pale as
a ghost. I smiled as wholly as I could and blamed it
on the Haver*. His plans are going to get me
killed again.

When the black flag rose for the second
time, they threw me into the ocean, praying the
animals would do the job. But, the fishes that kept
my dead flesh company, they know of His spirit.
And Lazarus rises once more.


Agnes Lee
Topic: Rising (day 16)

* "Haver" is hebrew for the word friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment